The East High School Angels are the proud home of an exceptional DEFT team that consistently places among the best in the country. Click here to learn more about the different kinds of speech and debate, and get to know our outstanding coaches.
DEFT’s purpose is to empower participating forensics (speech and debate) students to reach their highest potential by developing:
- Effective communication skills
- Critical thinking
- Integrity and ethical behavior
Through the training, practice and performances of various events and tournaments, students acquire skills and experience that supplements their education and contributes to the enhancement of their chosen careers throughout the rest of their lives. Using DEFT as an acronym for results, we help cultivate the following qualities in the students who pass through our programs:
- Discipline—Students who participate in forensics typically excel in the classroom and in life because of the extraordinary commitments of time, practice, study and energy invested in their performances.
- Eloquence—The ability to clearly and convincingly communicate is an intrinsic quality of individuals who are successful leaders in our communities, our schools, our businesses, our government and our society overall.
- Focus—In a society that overwhelms students with options, forensics enables them to take advantage of a personal interest or a career ambition, then research, analyze, shape and communicate subjects that are relevant and interesting to them.
- Transformation—Many students, when first entering forensics, struggle to harness substantive ideas, dreams and insights and shape them into language that has the power to change minds, stimulate creativity and move others to action. Progressing through four years of forensics helps equip students with the skills and abilities to transform thoughts into effective communication.
We are proud to be involved in such a significant undertaking. The resources gathered, directed and invested in our teachers, coaches and students reap dividends beyond measure. To be a part of something that shapes young lives is an enterprise well worth all the resources needed to fuel such an undertaking.